Friday, September 28, 2007

Sand dollars, 1st attempt at resist


More new things for me!

This time I tried the resist technique, (and tearing paper)...
It took some experimenting, especially the resist technique...


A word of explanation for those not familiar with the stamping world/words:
I stamped the sand dollars (those cool Florida's shells) on a light blue paper, using a special ink that's slowdrying and very sticky(Versamark), then I sprinkled transparent embossing powder on it, shook off the excess, and used a heating tool (sort of a hair dryer for crafts, gets very warm but doesn't blow as much as an hair dryer ;-)). That powder then turns liquid and glossy and solidify when cooled down, giving a slight raised effect and a nice "glazed" finish. Then I took a piece of sponge (cut a piece of a (clean ;-)) kitchen sponge) and wet it lightly, then ran it on a blue ink pad and then colored my paper. Afterwards I dried my shells with a paper towel to remove the ink from them. That's what's called "resist" because the areas that were embossed first are protected and reject the color...

It was harder to see what I was doing in terms of heating up the powder, with the transparent one than with the black one, and the card actually went into a different direction than what I had initially in my mind (I was gonna use a paper with pictures of shells on it and add as an accent one embossed sand dollar on a piece of torn paper, attached with a paper clip...)
In the end the card is nothing spectacular, but I really like the soft colors, and am really happy to have learned a new technique... :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Bee !! Merci d'etre passee !!..OMG thanks for adding me in your fav !! i must add you too !!my list is getting so long, i think it's time i organize m'self and separate all of them ! i promise i'll do it soon !!
Greetings from Australia :)

Anonymous said...

Eh bien, il y a eu des choses de faites depuis jeudi dernier ! J'adore la carte avec les Sand dollars. Ca y est, tu déchires le papier maintenant ?
Bises.
Sandrine

Bee's Zen Garden said...

Moi, dechirer du papier?? :-) Allons donc!!
Il y a un debut a tout, je suppose! ;-D...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails